Friday, July 29, 2011

The Limitations of Altruism

I have recently been trying to make a more intentional effort of tithing and sharing the gifts I have received with others. When performing these seemingly noble deeds, I never have the expectation of receiving something in return, but am often aware of an unavoidable sense of satisfaction I get from making this self sacrifice. This realization has set me on the path of considering the ideals of altruism, or better yet, the limitations of it.

By definition, altruism is the "selfless concern for the well-being of others." When considering this, one might see my acts of charity (a check here, a check there) to be altruistic in nature; after all, I am sacrificing a piece of my own money for the betterment of others. I have realized however, that this logical belief is flawed, and charity or self sacrifice does not equate to pure altruism. In my personal experience as a Christian, there are a number of factors that contribute-to or inspire my charity. These ulterior motives are what cause me to call into question the actual purity in altruistic behavior, or lack their of. To best explore this topic I will put altruism in three different contexts, volunteerism, monetary donations, and the ultimate personal sacrifice. As to not overwhelm you in one post, I will construct these different scenarios over the next few weeks. Hopefully this prelude whetted your intellectual appetite for the future posts...

JW

No comments:

Post a Comment